Fr Michael Sliney, LC encourages as parents not to underestimate the power of having a relationship with Jesus Christ.
PLUS 10 tips on how to avoid raising entitled, spoiled children:
- Both parents need to be on the same page; lots of communication and agreement on how to discipline and reward your children.
- Respect is huge. Dads need to give moms their backs and never allow any form of disrespect without severe consequences.
- Kids should make their own beds, clean their own rooms and have daily household chores which are age appropriate.
- Vary the diet and do not let them become too picky with their food…they need to try a little bit of everything.
- Buy them what they need, make them pay for what they want. This example of self-control should be seen in their parents as well.
- Strongly encourage them to find a summer job starting in High School and continuing through college. They should have their own bank account and learn how to manage their personal spending from an early age.
- Bad actions have consequences. Stick to your word; it has to “hurt” for behavior to change.
- Take them out of their own little worlds through mission trips, visits to soup kitchens, etc… Hopefully the parents will reflect this spirit of selflessness and service in their own lives. Help them learn to share their toys with other siblings and friends.
- Form responsibility by making them do their own work. Resist the temptation to do their science projects, research papers and homework for them.
- Foster a strong prayer and Sacramental life; without God’s grace, all of this will be impossible. Again, the priorities of parents are absorbed by the children. Is God truly first?